How do the media and popular culture shape our notions or identity and reinforce or challenge stereotypes?
I believe that media and popular culture stirs the pot a lot. It seems to be common in our culture that we tend to isolate ourselves into groups based on our similarities, we only like to communicate with people who think and act like we do. I am not sure if it is new or if it is because i am just old enough now to realize it, but i have noticed hostility towards those who disagree. 'My way or the highway" has been the protocol when individuals are faced with a person or group who does not agree with their own.
As a teacher i would do my best to breakdown the walls that culture and media seems to build between people who have differences. I would want my students to know the value of individualism and that it is okay to disagree with others. Youth should be aware of the fact that we are not all suppose to be the same, we should not look, think, or act the same. I would also want to teach them the value of listening to and communicating with someone that they have differences with. Society has lost our ability to co exist with differences but those differences can be an advantage. I would hope to foster a mindset founded by acceptance and kindness in my classroom. I think we have underestimated how important those two things are when it comes to guiding a young mind.
As a teacher i would do my best to breakdown the walls that culture and media seems to build between people who have differences. I would want my students to know the value of individualism and that it is okay to disagree with others. Youth should be aware of the fact that we are not all suppose to be the same, we should not look, think, or act the same. I would also want to teach them the value of listening to and communicating with someone that they have differences with. Society has lost our ability to co exist with differences but those differences can be an advantage. I would hope to foster a mindset founded by acceptance and kindness in my classroom. I think we have underestimated how important those two things are when it comes to guiding a young mind.

Comments
Post a Comment